Winery in Sicily
Sponsored Link
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#355501 - 05/02/09 05:19 PM Re: Wine with Mexican Food [Re: Peter May]
Lisa Shea Offline

Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
There is always an argument here in the US whether a given Mexican restaurant is really "Authentic Mexican" or "Tex-Mex" or "American Mexican". Tex-Mex is sort of a fusion between southern American (from Texas) and Mexican food. There are people who prefer each type of cuisine. But I imagine it's exactly the same with Indian food - there isn't one type of Indian food. There are hundreds of little sub-varieties and what you get at one restaurant is just a portion of what you would find if you motorcycled across the entire continent of India.

Still, we do have tons of Mexican restaurants all over the place, it is very common. In Massachusetts we have a high population of Brazilian people so we also have a lot of Brazilian restaurants, which my dad loves. He spent his teen years in Brazil because his father worked with IBM. So we've been to several Brazilian restaurants and loved them. When we went to the Netherlands we even found a Brazilian restaurant and ate there. That seemed silly to me, to travel to the Netherlands and then eat Brazilian food smile But there you have it!

Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Twitter Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Facebook Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to MySpace Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Wine with Mexican Food Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Stumbleupon Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Reddit
#355547 - 05/06/09 09:57 PM Re: Wine with Mexican Food [Re: Lisa Shea]
charlene Offline

I suppose I like American Mexican, mostly tacos.

Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Twitter Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Facebook Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to MySpace Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Wine with Mexican Food Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Stumbleupon Add Re: Wine with Mexican Food to Reddit
#355581 - 05/07/09 11:42 PM Re: Wine with Mexican Food [Re: charlene]
Lisa Shea Offline

Silver Star Soulmate

American Mexican is definitely very popular in the US! In a way it "gentles" the Mexican flavor so that it goes easy on US tongues which are often not used to super hot spices. I don't mean that in a bad way. Different tongues are comfortable with different spice levels and it's good to have foods for all of us to eat smile

#356474 - 02/12/10 11:19 AM Re: Wine with Mexican Food [Re: Peter May]
Arox2010 Offline

Loc: Chesapeake VA
I know you are talking about Mexican wines and food. But on the general topic of wine diversity my mother drinks Portuguese and Italian wines mostly because of the proof. but she gets them at Total Wine.
I am with you Lisa i mostly see California wines in the states.

#356489 - 02/13/10 01:39 AM Re: Wine with Mexican Food [Re: Arox2010]
Lisa Shea Offline

Silver Star Soulmate

Arox2010 - that's an interesting statement - what do you mean "because of the proof"? Portuguese and Italian wines tend to be in the same proof range as wines from other parts of the world. Is it that she feels they are lower proof - or that they are higher proof?

#356500 - 02/14/10 12:54 AM Re: Wine with Mexican Food [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline
Companion

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Growing up in New York we had 'mexican food' places, but when i moved to the Southwest and So Cal I learned that they were American Mexican places back on the east coast. I really decided I loved Mexican food when I moved to states on the actual Mexican border.

Then I started traveling in Mexico and learned that even border towns in the US can't quite capture the freshness of Mexican Food in Mexico.

I suppose it's like anything else. The closer you get in distance to something the more authentic it gets. Guinness beer in the UK, for example, is FAR superior to the Guinness they export. smile

#356502 - 02/14/10 04:32 AM Re: Wine with Mexican Food [Re: jilly]
Lisa Shea Offline

Silver Star Soulmate

It is definitely true that food tastes delicious when you eat it made by natives in their native lands! It's high encouragement to travel all over the world and experience a variety of foods!

#357818 - 12/07/10 06:14 AM Re: Wine with Mexican Food [Re: Peter May]
rahnjoseph Offline

As i m great fond of australian shiraz i would like to have it with taco and a lots of sour cream. that's a real taste booster combination.

#358296 - 10/08/11 04:29 AM Re: Wine with Mexican Food [Re: Lisa Shea]
Mangum Offline

(spam removed)

Edited by Lisa Shea (08/30/13 05:52 PM)

#358297 - 10/08/11 02:32 PM Re: Wine with Mexican Food [Re: Lisa Shea]
CarolD Offline

Loc: Brea, CA USA
Southern California is dominated by Mexican eateries and the school of thought is generally anything that is a chain restaurant is more "American Mexican" or "Tex Mex" and the independent mom and pop shops or taquerias are typically authentic Mexican fare.

Re: Wine with Mexican food...

Is a Rioja or a dry crisp Cava too obvious a choice to pair with various Mexican dishes?

For me, a spicy Mexican dish would pair well with a nice dry riesling. If I were to pair with a red I would consider Malbec or Syrah depending on the dish.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
King Richard III and Wine
by Lisa Shea
08/18/14 10:35 AM
Courvoisier sangria
by Lisa Shea
08/15/14 05:21 PM
Do I really need a special glass?
by StemlessWG
08/11/14 05:18 PM
Aquarian Awakening - a Sci-Fi Romance
by Lisa Shea
08/05/14 09:18 PM
Cassis Sangria
by Lisa Shea
07/29/14 02:36 AM
Perfect FREE Summer reading!
by Lisa Shea
07/26/14 07:21 AM
Favorite Sangria?
by Lisa Shea
07/26/14 01:05 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link