Mouton Rothschild Bordeaux
Winery in Sicily
Sponsored Link
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#356477 - 02/12/10 05:08 PM Less Expensive wine
Arox2010 Offline

Loc: Chesapeake VA
Is price always a factor in good quality and taste.
And what really qualifies a cheap wine?

I recently tried Smoking Loon Merlot and Pinot Girogio and it was okay to me. It is a $10 bottle that i will mostly likely buy again.

Add Less Expensive wine to Twitter Add Less Expensive wine to Facebook Add Less Expensive wine to MySpace Add Less Expensive wine to Del.icio.us Digg Less Expensive wine Add Less Expensive wine to Yahoo My Web Add Less Expensive wine to Google Bookmarks Add Less Expensive wine to Stumbleupon Add Less Expensive wine to Reddit
#356479 - 02/13/10 02:15 AM Re: Less Expensive wine [Re: Arox2010]
jonfitzsimon Offline

I typically purchase $15 bottles and less. Anything $20 or more is a special occasion. You're right, there are so many excellent wines under $20, you can really experiment cost-effectively.

Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Twitter Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Facebook Add Re: Less Expensive wine to MySpace Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Less Expensive wine Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Stumbleupon Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Reddit
#356488 - 02/13/10 06:37 AM Re: Less Expensive wine [Re: jonfitzsimon]
Lisa Shea Online   content

Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
Twenty years ago price made a huge difference in wine quality, because many wine makers didn't have access to quality equipment. So a wine maker without a lot of money might have to dump a lot of sulfites into their wine to keep it from having problems. Cheap winemakers didn't have access to training and information.

Now in modern times even the smallest wineries have access to HUGE amounts of information on the web. They can learn exactly how to take care of their vines, how to grow vines organically, how to minimize additives. Most wineries can afford irrigation. They aren't trying out "iffy" grapes for their region - they know exactly what grapes grow well there and what fertilizer to use.

You can get some really tasty house wines for only $4 or $5.

That being said, I do also feel that sometimes wines are worth more money. For example, ice wine from Canada requires incredible amounts of attention and preparation. They have to harvest the grapes at the perfect level of frozenness. The resulting wine is absolutely delicious. So there are times that the higher price is for a good reason.

Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Twitter Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Facebook Add Re: Less Expensive wine to MySpace Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Less Expensive wine Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Stumbleupon Add Re: Less Expensive wine to Reddit
#356497 - 02/14/10 05:37 AM Re: Less Expensive wine [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline
Companion

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Maybe I should not be embarrassed then, that i look for sale bottles in the $4-5 range? I am sick of corbett canyon and barefoot wines, but always there is *something* on sale in the grocery stores. Tonite I was drinking some Fisheye Shiraz for $4.99. It was nice enough.

It's all I can afford. I love wine and wish I could buy a $15 bottle. It's just probably never going to happen with my budget.

#356501 - 02/14/10 09:31 AM Re: Less Expensive wine [Re: jilly]

Silver Star Soulmate

There are many great wines in the under $10 range smile Enjoy them!

Ah - you need to change your story! You say "Never going to happen with my budget". Your new story is that you are currently enjoying inexpensive wines while you are in a transition budget! When you set down roots and begin to flourish, you'll be able to enjoy all sorts of wines, whatever you choose!

#356507 - 02/14/10 01:44 PM Re: Less Expensive wine [Re: Lisa Shea]
Neil G.B. Offline
Long Time Friend

Jilly,
We were in the same boat, wanted to try various wines, in the end we joined a wine club, took a lot of time finding one which really suited us, now belong to two, one caters for local wines in the shops, so we now know what is around, price range etc & more important if we like or not before buying.

The meets once a month we have a guest speaker who normal brings wines to try from areas one does not normally buy from, what is good about this, you learn so much plus get the chance to sample those more expensive wines.

.S.
Hope you do not take offence, the Guinness thing, is not from U.K, comes from Republic of Ireland, as it will be soon St Patricks day, would hate to see you upset our Irish Friends by saying this is fine drop of Guinness from the U.K.

Neil.

#356512 - 02/15/10 02:57 AM Re: Less Expensive wine [Re: Neil G.B.]

Silver Star Soulmate

Wine clubs are great ideas! Another great idea is to sign up for EVERY wine shop's newsletter within a 30 mile radius. Most of them do free wine tastings every month or two. Attend them all. It's amazing how many free great wines you can taste!

Also, encourage friends to try wines when you visit each other. So that way one person buys a bottle but lots of people can get a taste of it.

#356518 - 02/15/10 02:30 PM Re: Less Expensive wine [Re: Lisa Shea]
Neil G.B. Offline
Long Time Friend

Lisa,
Just got home from our Morning Tasting Club, tried five wines, can advise later what we had if rest of the boys & girls on fourm interested in what around U.K. Shops at moment.

Neil.

P.S. What are Spiders, noticed this on who on line ?

#356522 - 02/16/10 08:34 PM Re: Less Expensive wine [Re: Neil G.B.]
Peter May Offline
Best Friend

Loc: St Albans, England
Yes, tell us what you had.

Spiders are automatic programs that search the web.

webs have spiders

#356529 - 02/17/10 03:21 AM Re: Less Expensive wine [Re: Peter May]

Silver Star Soulmate

Yes definitely, I'd love to hear what you tasted and how you liked them!

For spiders, here's the wikipedia page on them!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

It's how sites like Google index pages.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
WineIntro Turns 10!
by PeterLewicke
10/26/14 07:26 PM
pink bubbly
by Lisa Shea
10/23/14 08:22 PM
BellaOnline Ebook Award
by PeterLewicke
10/10/14 04:49 PM
King Richard III and Wine
by PeterLewicke
10/10/14 04:47 PM
Root Beer Vanilla Sangria
by Lisa Shea
10/07/14 09:44 PM
Key Lime sangria
by Lisa Shea
10/06/14 07:15 PM
Into the Wasteland - A Dystopian Journey
by Lisa Shea
10/03/14 08:32 PM
Box Chardonnay
by Lisa Shea
10/02/14 08:00 PM
The Lucky Cat - Black Cat Vol. 1
by Lisa Shea
10/01/14 04:06 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link