Travel Photos
Prague
Wine in Bermuda
Mouton Rothschild Bordeaux
Sponsored Link
Topic Options
#34 - 12/13/04 02:17 PM Electronic Wine Chiller
auntjackie Offline

Just to let you all know that I just got an electronic wine chiller from the sharper image auctions on ebay for $22.95 + shipping...compared to the sharper image website, and others, this is a steal...they are factory reconditioned, but mine arrived beautifully...it is a little noisy, but it's in my kitchen and I can't hear the hum of the fan from my living room. I follow Lisa's temp guide and have really been enjoying my wine. What a difference the proper temp makes!

#35 - 12/13/04 07:43 PM Re: Electronic Wine Chiller
Lisa Shea Online   content

Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
Yes it really is amazing, sort of how a warm chocolate chip cookie tastes a lot different than a frozen solid one smile Things are just meant to be eaten and drunk at certain temperatures.

Do you have a URL link to the one you ended up with? I have one here that I thought is from the sharper image and we had trouble getting it to work properly. I'll have to take a picture of it and post it to compare.

#36 - 12/14/04 08:30 AM Re: Electronic Wine Chiller
auntjackie Offline

I could not relocate that one I got from Ebay - I've emailed the seller and if they get back to me, I'll post. When I bid, though, they had a lot of them.

Let me ask you another question - In addition to my table chiller, I'm intersted in a wine fridge...I've been doing some shopping around and have found that 99% of them have glass doors. I thought light was detrimental to wine and therefore can't understand why they don't have more with solid doors. Am I wrong about light? I think it's bad just because of proper storing conditions I've been reading up on, such as a "dark" place...Also, with sunlight coming in and going out, it can change the temp of the bottle a couple of times a day, which is bad...right? So, what's the deal with the glass doors?

#37 - 12/19/04 07:57 PM Re: Electronic Wine Chiller

Silver Star Soulmate

If you have wine in a fridge it's usually only for a few days to months, so you're not talking about a wine ageing and being affected by light. If you really are using this for a wine that is going to age for 5-10 years it's probably in a basement anyway where it's dark smile Also my wine fridge that I keep upstairs has tinted glass.

Definitely you don't want it to be sitting in the sunlight in any case smile

The glass doors are great because you can glance in and see if you want to get a bottle from it without opening it up and changing the inside temperature without needing to.

#38 - 12/20/04 03:07 AM Re: Electronic Wine Chiller
Peter May Offline
Best Friend

Loc: St Albans, England
Quote:
Originally posted by auntjackie:
So, what's the deal with the glass doors?
They're meant for restaurants where the wine will be on show, not for long aging. I think you'll find you'll have an option with doors, glass or solid. Brochures show the glass doors more often because their major customers are restaurants and the pictures show the insides.

I got a EuroCave many years ago and chose the solid door. Just as well as all sorts of wine odds and ends gets stuffed in there and it doesn't look so pretty.

#39 - 12/20/04 08:26 PM Re: Electronic Wine Chiller

Silver Star Soulmate

Actually I do have to say I like the glass doors on the one in the kitchen which is used for drink-soon wines. It lets me glance in and see if the botle I want is in there or if I have to go downstairs. Also it's easy to see if there's a Champagne bottle or two in there, same reason. It's better than always having to open and close it.

#359558 - 11/01/17 08:01 PM Re: Electronic Wine Chiller [Re: auntjackie]
Jessi Marina Offline

Yes i also like to have class doors, very useful to see and also the creating happiness by seeing..

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 
Latest Posts
Knowing Yourself - A Medieval Romance
by Jessi Marina
11/15/17 09:43 PM
red wine with my salad
by Jessi Marina
11/15/17 09:40 PM
HELP: Wanting to make my own wine.
by Jessi Marina
11/14/17 08:35 PM
Sketch Full Version
by Jessi Marina
11/14/17 08:28 PM
Wine Health Talk
by Jessi Marina
11/13/17 09:55 PM
STANLAKE PARK Nr Maidenhead
by Jessi Marina
11/13/17 09:51 PM
In Plain Sight
by lupacexi
11/09/17 07:55 PM
Missouri Wineries
by Jessi Marina
11/09/17 12:45 AM
old stored wine
by Jessi Marina
11/09/17 12:43 AM
Halloween visitors
by Jessi Marina
11/05/17 07:21 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link