northern New Jersey
B
blumom Offline OP
Long Time Friend
blumom  Offline OP
Long Time Friend
B
northern New Jersey
Yesterday I went to a really wonderful bird shop and was strongly advised to give my birds 2-3 drops of iodine in their drinking water a couple days a week. Do any of you do this? Any downside to it?

thanks

Re: iodine supplement??? [Re: blumom] #324277
09/04/08 04:56 PM
09/04/08 04:56 PM
New Jersey
K
kathy63 Offline
Companion
kathy63  Offline
Companion
K
New Jersey
there are people on the site that know better then myself, but i know when i took kiki to the avian vet, she told me not to put vitamins in the water because they don't drink it all and it could breed bacteria. i don't know why because i put clean water every day. i threw the vitamins in the trash. someone else will give you some good advice when they read your post.
kathy

Re: iodine supplement??? [Re: kathy63] #324282
09/04/08 05:10 PM
09/04/08 05:10 PM
B
B1RD Offline
Great Friend
B1RD  Offline
Great Friend
B
I tend to agree with kathy63. I have heard several times to not put stuff in the water. I know the vet gave me antibiotics to put in Zazie's water when she was sick, but that's different. I think they should get all their nutrition from their food, what does everyone else think?

Re: iodine supplement??? [Re: kathy63] #324283
09/04/08 05:13 PM
09/04/08 05:13 PM
Michigan
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend
Jasper's mom  Offline
Best Friend
Michigan
I was interested in your question, went looking online. I came across this article

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=15&cat=1829&articleid=2755

apparently iodine supplements help prevent goiter and thyroid problems. after reading this, I think I would discuss this with your vet first.

I had trouble finding a basic mineral block, and the one I did find contains iodine, but he doesn't really use it too much so that would not be a reliable source smile

Re: iodine supplement??? [Re: Jasper's mom] #324290
09/04/08 05:32 PM
09/04/08 05:32 PM

P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P

This is an overall mineral suppliment that I use, and it includes iodine: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/products/avix.html (scroll down to the product called "Bird Builder")

It's for birds who are not converted fully to a pellet diet. It's easy to use (just mix into gallon of water and store in fridge) -- no mold, gunk, or yuckiness!

Re: iodine supplement??? [Re: ] #324302
09/04/08 06:09 PM
09/04/08 06:09 PM
northern New Jersey
B
blumom Offline OP
Long Time Friend
blumom  Offline OP
Long Time Friend
B
northern New Jersey
so you're mixing stuff into the water. I change my water 2x a day and I"m thinking perhaps, after talking to the vet, I'd simply put in a couple drops in their morning water and not in the evening.

The pet store guy was pretty interesting. I was picking up some pellets and he kind of grimaced. I told him my birds eat it and he responded with...well, as long as you're giving them plenty of seed and veggies too. The pellets make the birds fat and wanting to lay eggs. That freaked me out a bit since I've got one old gal in a cage with two young guys. I sure don't want her laying eggs (although she's got a pretty effective beak that she uses mercilessly on the males). Anybody else ever hear this? I'm still up in the air about the whole pellet thing. I just don't feel 100% comfortable about a man-made diet as the main source of food for the birds. I sure wouldn't use an extruded vitamin compound as my main food intake.

Re: iodine supplement??? [Re: blumom] #324322
09/04/08 06:54 PM
09/04/08 06:54 PM

P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P

Well, this is a bizarre coincidence --- there's a new topic/thread called "Chronic egg-laying - pls. advise" and the very issue of "pellets make them want to lay eggs" came up!! I just posted that I've never linked the two -- I mean, I've never heard anything about pellets encouraging egg-laying, and this is a new one on me!

Hopefully other people will know about this...

The only thing I'd be concerned with (about drops of iodine) is -- how much to put in? IMO, better too little than too much.....

I agree with you 100% about not wanting an entirely man-made diet, so apparently many avian vets recommend mostly pellets but also plenty of veggies, and a little bit of fruit, seeds, and treats.

Re: iodine supplement??? [Re: ] #324326
09/04/08 07:19 PM
09/04/08 07:19 PM
Michigan
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend
Jasper's mom  Offline
Best Friend
Michigan
I was just reading online, and saw one site that said cuttlebones were a good source of iodine....don't know if they're right...so I would discuss this with a vet smile It might do them more harm if they get too much??

When I got Jasper, the pet shop people told me to rotate through different brands of foods, as different ones offer different nutrients and different mixes of seeds. I give Jasper pellets, but do not plan on him eating mainly pellets. I add them to his seeds, and it definitely looks like he eats both. I put the seed in first, add a layer of pellets, and right now I top with some Quicko egg food as he is still molting. I saw an article once about the possibility of birds that eat only pellets actually getting to much of some vitamins and minerals, especially if they are also getting vitamin supplements. We all know they need fresh vegs and fruits...but do the birds know that? We all know how hard it is to get them to eat their veggies LOL

I've decided on a middle road approach, that's what I'm comfortable with. I've had parakeets before pellets were even available, and they were perfectly healthy and happy. My Charlie lived 14 years, she was just offered many different seeds, millet, treats, egg food, groats, greens etc. Different things, with lots of variety smile

Sorry, this got a little long............

Re: iodine supplement??? [Re: ] #324338
09/04/08 08:03 PM
09/04/08 08:03 PM
Georgia
pollyannie Offline
Long Time Friend
pollyannie  Offline
Long Time Friend
Georgia
I give my Australian finches and parakeets iodine 2-3 times per month.
For some reason, Australian birds need more iodine than other birds. I started giving it to my finches then I looked into it for my parakeets since they are also Australian. I discovered that it was also recommended for them. Iodine deficiency used to be really common in parrakeets until people started giving them cuttlebone.
I give my finches and parakeets Liqui-kelp. It is actually a human supplement so you could probably find it at a healh store.
I put 2 drops per quart and give it to them 2-3 times per month. I don't use iodized salt so I tend to put a drop in my mouth too. lol

Clover,Calypso,Cannoli,Chooie

RIP sweet Kiwi
2-16-09
Re: iodine supplement??? [Re: pollyannie] #324342
09/04/08 08:16 PM
09/04/08 08:16 PM

K
keeterama*
Unregistered
keeterama*
Unregistered
K

yes do not put ANYTHING in your birds water enless it is prescribed by a vet. if you want to add supplements then ask the vet which ones and what brands, not all are created equally.

most birds have no need for supplements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Deadpool 2
by thetamxxx. 06/21/18 04:03 AM
Lucifer Series Cancelled
by Nathan Lee. 06/11/18 08:49 AM
Parakeet Beak/Face problem
by Nathan Lee. 06/11/18 08:47 AM
New Parakeet
by Markedg. 06/05/18 06:41 PM
Free Online Watercolor Courses
by Lisa Shea. 05/28/18 10:51 PM
Is the Holy Grail in Spain?
by Lisa Shea. 05/28/18 10:47 PM
Parakeets and Travel
by Lisa Shea. 05/28/18 01:04 PM
Name Animals Beginning with A
by Lisa Shea. 05/28/18 12:56 PM
Zoo Mysteries
by Lisa Shea. 05/28/18 12:46 PM
Repairing Chewing Damage
by Lisa Shea. 05/28/18 07:57 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
General Discussion
Books, TV, Movies
Da Vinci Code
Dreams
Japanese Culture
Life, Universe, Everything
Online Courses
Politics
Religious Research
Show Your Own Work
Work From Home / Writing

Parakeets
General Parakeet Chat
Keet Stories and Photos
Parakeet Photo Gallery
Budgie Training
Health and Medical Issues
Parakeet Breeding
In Memory Of ...
Non-Budgie Pets and Animals
Non-Budgie Animal Photos
Off-Topic for Keet Owners
Games
Animal Rights
Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site