Print Thread
Training New Parakeet #430976
11/25/16 07:32 AM
11/25/16 07:32 AM
S
SakataGintoki Offline OP
SakataGintoki  Offline OP
S
Hello, I purchased a new parakeet about a month ago and I was, and still am, looking forward to training my parakeet. However, I am still new to this, I tried following guides online but they don't seem to work (most likely I am doing them wrong). Here are the main points:

-Parakeet lets me feed him with my hand, and touch him, but he will not stand on my finger. I put my hand in the cage for 5-10 min a day. But when I put my finger under his stomach he doesn't do anything, or just moves off to the side.

-I sometimes let him out of the cage and he walks around and then tries to fly (but the guys at petco clipped his wings so he cant) then just drops on the floor. He does this a coupe of times, bits the carpet, and when I want to put him back I can't do anything but force him onto my finger then he tries to fly and hits the floor. I tried even using his own perch, doesn't step up to it when out of the cage.

Re: Training New Parakeet [Re: SakataGintoki] #430982
11/26/16 02:17 PM
11/26/16 02:17 PM
M
MosestheGreat Offline
MosestheGreat  Offline
M
He won't step up on your finger till he learns too. Place your finger just above his legs and gently but firmly press your finger against his body , you are causing him off balance and he will step up and say step up. By doing this over and over he will learn to step up when you tell him too. Don't forget to give some sort of positive reinforcement, such as just praising him, good boy or some seed treat in your hand.

Re: Training New Parakeet [Re: SakataGintoki] #430984
11/30/16 05:52 AM
11/30/16 05:52 AM
US
Lisa Shea Offline

True Blue Soulmate
Lisa Shea  Offline

True Blue Soulmate
US
I know ten minutes sounds like a lot to you - but a day has 1,440 minutes in it. That's a lot of time that the keet is alone. The more time you spend, the more quickly the training will go!

Lisa Shea, Owner

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Making a cyanotype t-shirt
by Lisa Shea. 07/20/18 04:44 PM
how to mix up cyanotype liquid
by Lisa Shea. 07/19/18 09:25 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea. 07/17/18 02:12 AM
My Scuttle talking
by Skyevega. 07/16/18 07:46 PM
the zoo is a buffet
by Lisa Shea. 07/15/18 02:33 AM
Only One Blockbuster Left
by Lisa Shea. 07/15/18 01:13 AM
Parakeet chewing on wooden platform
by Lisa Shea. 07/15/18 12:26 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
General Discussion
Books, TV, Movies
Da Vinci Code
Dreams
Japanese Culture
Life, Universe, Everything
Online Courses
Politics
Religious Research
Show Your Own Work
Work From Home / Writing

Parakeets
General Parakeet Chat
Keet Stories and Photos
Parakeet Photo Gallery
Budgie Training
Health and Medical Issues
Parakeet Breeding
In Memory Of ...
Non-Budgie Pets and Animals
Non-Budgie Animal Photos
Off-Topic for Keet Owners
Games
Animal Rights
Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site