10/24/04 04:09 PM
10/24/04 04:09 PM
Massachusetts
Lisa Shea Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate
Lisa Shea  Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate

Massachusetts
I've been going through all of my winery visit notes, and putting together a photo journey through 12 months in a vineyard. You can see the vines and grapes at each step along their growth!

http://www.wineintro.com/making/seasons/

I love visiting the vineyards in the fall, when you can take a grape and taste it, and actually taste what the wine will be like. I also love the spring, when the baby grapes are just starting to form!

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #545
11/27/04 02:52 PM
11/27/04 02:52 PM
St Albans, England
Peter May Offline
Best Friend
Peter May  Offline
Best Friend

St Albans, England
I was in South Africa in September. When I arrived the vines were bare and within a week they were covered in green shoots. By a couple of weeks they were thcik with leaves and shoots.

The vine grows very rapidly

As beautiful as that was, I prefer vintage time (the time I usually go) as the wineries are bustling, there's hoppers of ripe grapes and the smell of fermenting wine.

Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #546
11/27/04 05:15 PM
11/27/04 05:15 PM
Massachusetts
Lisa Shea Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate
Lisa Shea  Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate

Massachusetts
That's so neat, Peter!

Actually I suppose I try to avoid vintage time because they are just so busy and thronged with people that it seems a madhouse. The year I went to Long Island during vintage, you could barely get to the tasting bars never mind talk to anyone about what you're drinking smile

I suppose I like to go in the late summertime when the grapes are changing colors. I think that's really pretty, but the hordes haven't descended yet. Or springtime with the tiny grapelings on the vines ...

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #547
12/31/04 04:03 AM
12/31/04 04:03 AM
East TN
C
Chester Offline
Chester  Offline
C

East TN
Lisa, remember me from 4 or 5 yrs. ago on the About.com forum?? Chester, from Tennessee? I just surfed in here and hadn't been able to locate you. Right now I have a case of assorted HRM Rex Goliath 47 lb Rooster wines from Monterey. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, and Chardonnay. I only made 20 gallons of wine this year, and have toured several local wineries. GLAD TO BE BACK!!

Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #548
12/31/04 07:07 AM
12/31/04 07:07 AM
Massachusetts
Lisa Shea Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate
Lisa Shea  Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate

Massachusetts
Hey there, glad to hear from you! I like the Rex Goliath smile

Did you make it to the winery in Ripley, TN? We have relatives there so we've been there twice now smile They're famous for their tomato wine ...

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #549
12/31/04 11:22 AM
12/31/04 11:22 AM
East TN
C
Chester Offline
Chester  Offline
C

East TN
No, unfortunately it's at least a 7-8 hr drive to Lauderdale Cellars in Ripley. And they don't ship wine to East TN. But sooner or later I'll make it out there. I live in the mountains of East TN, Ripley is in West TN near the Mississippi Delta.

Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #550
12/31/04 11:43 AM
12/31/04 11:43 AM
Massachusetts
Lisa Shea Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate
Lisa Shea  Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate

Massachusetts
Ah ok - we only drive past you on the way back home smile The last time we were out there there was a massive thunderstorm coming down on our heels, and we were on a motorcycle. So the race back up to New England was sort of a blur smile

What types of wine did you make?

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #551
12/31/04 03:52 PM
12/31/04 03:52 PM
East TN
C
Chester Offline
Chester  Offline
C

East TN
White Muscadine. Plus a Country Red blend of wild Muscadines, Catawbas, & Concords. I downsized my vineyard a bit, and will probably add a few vines of Seyval and Chancellor in late winter/early fall. Cynthiana and Chambourcin are popular in the Southeast, but I've yet to taste a sample of either I was impressed with. Were you near Knoxville? I live approx. 20 minutes Northwest of Knox County.

Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #552
01/08/05 10:33 PM
01/08/05 10:33 PM
Massachusetts
Lisa Shea Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate
Lisa Shea  Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate

Massachusetts
I don't think so - we stayed in Memphis one time, then went up to Ripley which is where my relatives are smile

Seyval makes a pretty tasty wine - how about Vidal?

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #553
01/20/05 02:09 PM
01/20/05 02:09 PM
Jenny Offline
Jenny  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Shea:
Did you make it to the winery in Ripley, TN? We have relatives there so we've been there twice now smile They're famous for their tomato wine ...
wait a second here... Tomato wine!? What's up with that? And, how does it taste? more like spaghetti sauce or cream of tomato soup or V8?

What are some other weird wines that get made? And would you recommend we stay away from any in particular? How about Gooseberry Wine?

Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #554
01/23/05 06:17 PM
01/23/05 06:17 PM
Massachusetts
Lisa Shea Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate
Lisa Shea  Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate

Massachusetts
You can make wine pretty much from any fruit / veggie that has sugar in it (which means pretty much anything) plus of course honey. The wine isn't thick - we're not talking about putting the pulp into the wine like a juice. Just like grape wine doesn' have bits of grape floating around in it smile So tomato wine is pale red in color, a general wine-like thickness to it, and sort of a light, tomatoey flavor.

If you visit the wineries around your home (assuming you don't live in the center of Napa Valley CA) undoubtedly they make fruit wines, a lot of small local wineries do. So a random selection of wine types I've seen at local wineries include:

apple, peach, pear, plum, blackberry, blueberry, elderberry, cranberry, raspberry

Give some a try! smile

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #555
03/01/05 10:55 PM
03/01/05 10:55 PM
Stockport Cheshire England
H
Howard Offline
Howard  Offline
H

Stockport Cheshire England
Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Shea:
You can make wine pretty much from any smile
I started making wine at home with my parents help in 1967, and the home winemaking book surprised me with the information that Czar Peter the Great enyoyed wine made from Birch Tree Sap so much, that he was responsible for the destruction of Birch Forests twice the size of the United Kingdom.
A friend of my fathers loved alcohol,but developed diabetes and[in those days the only way to guarantee that he knew what he was drinking was to make his own - his favourite was a dry rose petal wine. {sometimes of course you have find an additional source of sugar - this increases dramatically the different wines you can make I believe he used to add rasins or the like to his rose petals}

Howard

Re: 12 Months in a Vineyard #556
03/09/05 02:00 AM
03/09/05 02:00 AM
Massachusetts
Lisa Shea Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate
Lisa Shea  Offline OP

Silver Star Soulmate

Massachusetts
Right when I make dandelion wine I often add honey or sugar to it smile

That's interesting about Peter the Great, interesting that he didn't make Birch Beer out of it!

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Latest Posts
Moscato Sangria
by Dr mariana. 10/15/19 05:30 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Cocktails, Sangrias
Events and Festivals
Food Pairings and Recipes
Glassware and Serving
Health and Allergies
Reviews and Tastings
Storage, Aging, Cellars
Travel Photos
Winery Visits
Winemaking
Wine Chit Chat
Off-Topic for Wine-Lovers
Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link