Print Thread
Wine from concord grapes? #571
12/19/05 04:09 PM
12/19/05 04:09 PM
R
RuthLS Offline OP
RuthLS  Offline OP
R

We just sold our house and are renting a house until we figure out where we want to be. This new house has concord grapes everywhere.

I've read that it makes horrible wine...and then I've read that it makes a great fruity wine. I've never made my own wine before..but thought it might be fun for next fall.

Should I just stick to grape juice or letting the kids eat the grapes..or can I make a nice wine with concord grapes?

Also, any good site recs for making wine from scratch?

Thanks!
Ruth

Re: Wine from concord grapes? #572
12/23/05 06:34 PM
12/23/05 06:34 PM
St Albans, England
Peter May Offline
Best Friend
Peter May  Offline
Best Friend

St Albans, England
Ruth

Concord wine is made commercially by wineries in New York State (and elsewhere on the Eastern sea board no doubt. But it seems overwhemingly to be made very sweet -- designed to please palates of non-wine drinkers, and maybe to hide that funky native American variety flavour.

However, Paul Bulas (a man who is passionate about native varieties, and a home winemaker, has made dry Concord which he swears is really special.

I'll email him and ask him to comment here.

Re: Wine from concord grapes? #573
12/24/05 06:15 PM
12/24/05 06:15 PM
St Albans, England
Peter May Offline
Best Friend
Peter May  Offline
Best Friend

St Albans, England
I got this reply from Paul:-

Hi Peter! Best of the Christmas season to you. I am about to travel for the holiday weekend and so I don't have the time now to register in that new forum. But here is the URL for my lengthy article on the concept of Dry Concord wine. Perhaps you can post back to let the person know, so she can read it? http://members.allstream.net/~pabs/wine/DryConcord.html Cheers and talk to you later. Paul

Re: Wine from concord grapes? #574
12/27/05 05:06 PM
12/27/05 05:06 PM
R
RuthLS Offline OP
RuthLS  Offline OP
R

Peter,

Thank you for responding and for your time. I have not had a chance to read the article, but definitely will.

I've never made wine. But like the idea of learning about something by doing. I also love to garden so the many vines here were a delightful surprise. I'd love to be able to do something more interesting with them other than jelly or juice.

Now if I can only keep the toddlers and birds at bay next season.

I'll post how I make out.

Oh..and are there any other wine formus you would suggest? This ones doesn't seem to get as much traffic as I would like from a learning and food/wine ideas and education standpoint.

Thanks again! And my thanks to Paul!
Ruth

Re: Wine from concord grapes? #575
12/27/05 06:28 PM
12/27/05 06:28 PM
St Albans, England
Peter May Offline
Best Friend
Peter May  Offline
Best Friend

St Albans, England
Hi Ruth

Yes its a shame its a bit quiet.

Re: Wine from concord grapes? #576
12/28/05 12:30 AM
12/28/05 12:30 AM
UK Midlands
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate
PDM  Offline

True Blue Soulmate

UK Midlands
Hi Ruth.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry about the lack of wine posts. Peter is very learned on the subject though - so you have done well to find him. smile

Unfortunately I am completely ignorant when it comes to wine. I know that Lisa is very knowledgeable - but she is also very busy. You may catch her here one of the days though! smile

Lisa has another site where wine is discussed, but if you need an expert, I think Lisa, herself, & Peter are the people to go to.

http://www.bellaonline.com/site/wine

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Wine from concord grapes? #577
12/28/05 02:21 AM
12/28/05 02:21 AM
R
RuthLS Offline OP
RuthLS  Offline OP
R

Thank you both again for posting. I'm new to the board so I haven't had a chance to "meet" Lisa. But yes, having read the posts, Peter-you seem very knowledgeable. I just hate to rely on(bug)one person.

Perhaps it's my extroverted nature. Perhaps it's that fact I am a stay at home/work at home mom and frequent other non-wine related message boards that seem to have posts by the millions. Who knew one could post so much in regards to their children, what they wear, what strollers to buy, and so on.

I guess in the years to come-as wine is gaining popularity-there will be more interest in forums like these. I've learned so much from web reading alone...and of course from tasting and tasting and tasting. I just can't soak up enough.

Thanks again!
Ruth

Re: Wine from concord grapes? #578
12/28/05 06:56 PM
12/28/05 06:56 PM
St Albans, England
Peter May Offline
Best Friend
Peter May  Offline
Best Friend

St Albans, England
No worries about bugging me.

Perhaps if you as some questions, some of the others will chip in also.

So please ask away.

Re: Wine from concord grapes? #579
01/01/06 11:01 PM
01/01/06 11:01 PM
Massachusetts
Lisa Shea Offline

Silver Star Soulmate
Lisa Shea  Offline

Silver Star Soulmate

Massachusetts
You can make a great wine from just about any fruit with sugar in it - and you can also make an awful wine from those same items smile It all comes down to the tastes you personally enjoy and the care you take with your winemaking. I say, give it a try!

Heck, I make dandelion wine each spring that is very tasty smile

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Wine from concord grapes? #580
01/13/06 12:34 AM
01/13/06 12:34 AM
R
RuthLS Offline OP
RuthLS  Offline OP
R

Thanks Lisa, I'll let everyone know how it turns out next fall. Keep your fingers crossed. It will be my first batch of homemade wine.

Ruth

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Latest Posts
Moscato Sangria
by Dr mariana. 10/15/19 05:30 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Cocktails, Sangrias
Events and Festivals
Food Pairings and Recipes
Glassware and Serving
Health and Allergies
Reviews and Tastings
Storage, Aging, Cellars
Travel Photos
Winery Visits
Winemaking
Wine Chit Chat
Off-Topic for Wine-Lovers
Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link